Wednesday, July 4, 2012


I know this is my second post in one day...okay so I am excited to write about what I love. <3


This post is about one of my favorite styles. Transitional. By definition, Transitional is what it sounds like; the transitional between two different styles. Most often used between Traditional and Modern. This style epitomizes what I love. I love elements of new and textures and weight of old pieces. Feminine, yet strong. 


Here are images of a Transitional entry way that captivates me.





http://www.hgtv.com/designers-portfolio/room/transitional/entryways/4932/index.html#/id-4933

I am currently quite infatuated with entry ways. Maybe it is because I don't have one. This entry way is thanks to HGTV.com 


I want to make sure that I clarify that the images I use are not necessarily my work; some will be but I will note when there not. I love the modern elements of color, glass, and leather contrasting the rustic entry table and the Gothic inspired mirrors. This is a beautiful meeting of old and new. The height of the mirrors balances the bulk of the side table. The juxtaposition of heavy and streamlined, gloss and texture makes this space an inviting entry way.


Okay now before I lose those of you who say this space can't be achieved do to the expense of these pieces let me challenge you a bit. Here is how you can create the same "feel" as this space without having the exact same elements.


1. If you have two lamps that are similar in size spray paint them to be alike.
2. Create the entry table out of old barn boards and simply eliminate the arch that is seen beneath.
3. Upholster an old bench with remnant fabric to give it new life.
4. To create the same affect as the large Gothic mirrors, why not stop by an antique store and purchase old distressed windows that are tall and narrow or simply buy some large old frames and dry brush them with black paint to make them the same and then lean them against the wall.
5. Always, if at all possible have fresh flowers. Now I know you think...EXPENSIVE. Not so. Last week I cut three tall branches with green leaves and placed them in a vase and it was gorgeous. Also, Hostas are in their full glory right now. Why not use three or four of the large leaves in a glass vase?


Most of us do not have large entry ways like the one shown here so we can go with somewhat smaller elements to fill the space.


Now....go forth and design!

No comments:

Post a Comment